Monday, January 6, 2014

The ListServe: What Would You Say To One Million People?

I learned about The Listserve at a conference I attended last fall. Created by a group of students in the ITP program at the Tisch School, it is a mailing list that currently has just over 25,000 subscribers. (When the subscriber list reachers 1 million, the list admins will no longer accept new members.) Every day there is a lottery and one member has the change to send a message to the list.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first signed up. Over the past 3 months, I have been touched by stories, thoughts, and ideas that have been shared. In the beginning I assumed that if I ever won, I would try to write something funny and pithy, my version of "So long and thanks for all the fish." But a few months in, the power of the project has really sunk in. Everyday, after reading the daily message, I spend a few minutes time reflecting on my life and ponder what I could share that might make a difference to 25,000+ people.

I highly recommend signing up for the Listserve. In a life of too much email, it is a message I enjoy reading everyday. Plus, I would love to know what you would write to a million people!

No comments:

Post a Comment